My name is Justin Cox, and I am the owner and operator of MoldPlus Testing. I started my career in air quality as the owner of a mold remediation and water damage mitigation company. In that role, I received my water damage certification (IICRC WRT) and mold certification through the National Organization of Remediators and Mold Inspectors (NORMI). I became NADCA certified (National Air Duct Cleaners Associated) for air duct cleaning. Finally, I am RRP certified (Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting) and trained in Asbestos awareness.
For 5 years, I helped people remove mold from their homes & businesses and clean their air duct systems. Whether water intrusion from outside to pipes bursting inside, my purpose was to solve and mitigate moisture problems where customers lived and worked. During those 5 years, I went on many inspections and was amazed at the astronomical proposals being written for routine mold and water removal. Sometimes these proposals were written when no professional work was even required.
On one occasion, a customer called me for a second opinion about remediation for a 1ft2 section of mold on a basement ceiling. I informed the customer that the issue was less then 10ft2 of mold and I did not think any hidden damage was present. Previous experience led me to believe that a small leak had occurred. The customer seemed a bit reluctant to believe me. She eventually admitted she was deathly afraid of the mold since another company had written her a $10,000 proposal to mitigate the mold. After reassuring her, I took the fear out of the situation and convinced her to hire a third-party tester (now retired) that I often recommended. As I suspected, the test came back with passing numbers. As it turns out, a copper pipe had a tiny hole in it. All she needed was a plumber to fix the pipe. The first thing the plumber did was cut out the moldy area to get to the pipe, thereby effectively performing her mold remediation. The plumber worked carefully to ensure the mold was not spread to other areas or worse than we expected, based on information I gave her during my inspection. In the end, she saved thousands of dollars and her situation was mitigated without spending $10,000.